Sunday, July 10, 2011

It All Started With a Radish

Doesn't this look good?



It's not my own creation, I'm afraid. I was looking for something to make with some of the daikon radish in the garden, and I found a recipe for miso-marinated salmon with cucumber-daikon relish on Epicurious. I liked it right off the bat, and I had all the ingredients on hand except the salmon.

I didn't tweak the recipe much. I didn't have enough fresh ginger-don't know how that happened--so I used what I had, and I skipped the green onions. Still, it turned out very well. I think the leftover rice-edamame and relish will make for a decent work lunch, too.

Daikon is one of the vegetables I grow "just 'cause." In the case of daikon, I grow them just 'cause they remind me so much of Japan. (Daikon is ubiquitous in Japan and Japanese cooking.) I've been growing them for 3 or 4 years now, but this is the first year I've gotten to harvest any worth eating--skip this next part if you don't want a gross image in your mind--because the root maggots usually get to them first. (I warned you!) The ones I harvested are still small--in Japan the grow them the size of small children--but I pulled them early both to thin out the row and to make sure I got some before the bugs ruined them all.























It's almost 8:00, and there's a lot of tomato-pruning, weed-pulling, bean-staking and whatnot to do today, so that's all for now.

No comments: