Sunday, July 17, 2011

Garden Update

It's waaaay too hot for me to work in the garden any longer today, so I'll just talk about it.

I finally weeded & mulched the corn. I'm hoping there's enough mulch to keep the soil damp and to ward off the weeds while we're gone on vacation.

Yesterday, I picked the first of the green beans. I picked another fistful today. Soon we'll have enough to feed the entire neighborhood. Oh yeah, I picked the first cucumber today. There are dozens of little fruits on the plants. Soon they'll be plentiful as green beans.

No tomatoes yet. A few of the Egg Yolk cherries looks as if they're almost ripe. Might be ready by the end of the week.

I've pulled up a baker's dozen garlic plants thus far. The bulbs are looking very good. I'm both afraid to pull up the rest because I'm not sure they're ready and afraid to leave them in the ground because they might not hold until we get back from the cabin. What a dilemma! Anyway, here's a photo of some I pulled yesterday:

Inchelium Red, Simonetti, and Chesnok Red


Something has been nibbling on the edamame and green bean plants. Yesterday, I found not one but two little bunnies in the garden, so I guess that mystery is solved. Next spring we'll have to reinforce the (not-so) bunny-proof fence.


What other critters are messing with our goodies? The squirrels and/or chipmunks have been taking bites out of the young zucchini fruit. You'd think by now they'd remember they don't like it. And something--probably one of those damn raccoons--checking an ear for ripeness, has already pulled down and ruined one corn plant. Man, I really hate those raccoons. Maybe we should get a dog, feed it nothing but raccoon meat, and then leave it in the garden.

No comments: