Sunday, February 21, 2010

Life, etc. Part 2 (with Movie Review)

I got so carried away with the beer post that I didn't have the energy to write about yesterday.

Wanna see a photo of my delicious Dane County Farmers' Market breakfast? Of course you do!


Most days I have a banana and a cup of coffee for breakfast. (Yeah, BOh-RING.) Sometimes on the weekend, though, My Dearest O and I go out for breakfast. After the winter farmers' market moves to the Madison Senior Center at the beginning of the year, we usually have breakfast at the market on Saturdays. The breakfasts are planned and prepared by volunteers and local chefs--including celebrities like L'Etoile's incomparable Tory Miller, whom I both envy and idolize--using ingredients produced and sold by market vendors.

With the help of Mermaid Cafe's David McKercher, UW Madison Dietetic and Nutrition students planned and prepared yesterday's breakfast: Potato and trout pancakes, bacon, poached egg, and Mermaid's hollandaise sauce served a top a crispy slice of sourdough; maple roasted carrot and fresh spinach salad; cinnamon baked apples; and a berry mini scone with a dollop of preserves. Kudos to the students for a fabulous breakfast! O and I agreed it was this year's best market breakfast thus far. (And it carried us all the way through dinner.)

I have no idea where the time went after we came home from the market. I futzed around with this & that--swept the floor, had a nap, surfed the web, etc--until the next thing I knew it was time to make dinner, a simple pasta dish w/ ham & veggies, spinach salad, and mulberry buckle (made with frozen mulberries from our very own tree and a week's butter ration) for dessert. After dinner, I somehow managed to get our temperamental DVD player to work, so we could watch Talk to Her, a Spanish film one of my Spanish bilingual co-workers loves and loaned to us.

It's a very good movie, but I'm still not sure how I feel about Talk to Her, which centers around two men who form an unlikely friendship and their love interests, both of whom are comatose in hospital. The characters are damaged, sad, and at least a little crazy, but they somehow manage to be hopeful and uplifting at the same time. The characters--and the movie--grew on me until something happens that I just don't want to believe and don't know how to process. I know that's cryptic, but I wouldn't want to spoil it for you if you're thinking of watching it. If thoughtful movies with more than a hint of moral ambiguity bother you, skip this one. But if you do watch it, then please Talk to Me.

No comments: