Monday, December 14, 2009

Whatcha Got Cookin'?

Peanut brittle, based on this recipe.

I used unsalted nuts, 'cause that's what I had, and added a splash of vanilla extract.


I don't have much of a sweet tooth, thank goodness, but I absolutely
LOVE peanut brittle.



B's Peppermint Bark

Spread 4 oz. melted dark (bittersweet) chocolate on cookie sheet lined w/ parchment paper or silpat. Cover w/ foil. Chill outside in the snow. Watch for critters.

Melt 8 oz. white chocolate in double boiler. Add 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract. Let cool, but don't let it harden. Spread over dark chocolate. Sprinkle w/ crushed candy canes or hard peppermint candy. Do the chilling thing again.

Break into pieces. Store in covered glass container hidden in garage.




B's Stuffed Pepper Soup*















Chicken cashew, based on this recipe

I used extra peppers, onions, and cashews. I minced some ginger instead of using slices. I replaced the oyster sauce, which I didn't have, with fish sauce, which I did.

If you make this, DON'T skip the step that says marinate in baking soda. I don't know if that's what did it, but the chicken was oh so tender.

This was delicious, but it lacks some oomph. Next time I'll add garlic and maybe a dash of something else--I'm not sure what.





Pecan tarts, using corn syrup-free filling made from this recipe.

Absolutely delicious. (And there was enough filling for a 9" pie!)











B's Spaghetti and Meatballs*

















B's Bolognese Sauce w Linguini*
















Black Bean & Pumpkin Soup, based on this recipe, and served in a pumpkin bowl made from a homely, warty farmers' market pumpkin.

Sorry, I don't remember what changes I made. I see that I used bacon instead of ham.









Some Sorta Frittata B Made Up*

I'm not even sure what kind this is. Looks like it has gorgonzola (ooh, do I loves me some gorgonzola), caramelized onion (ditto), potatoes, and maybe sausage. I suspect herbs from the garden were also involved.








B's Sweet Potato Quesadilla*

Try mashing up a baked sweet potato. Add cumin and lime juice until it tastes just right. A minced chipotle or two doesn't hurt. Throw in some black beans and onions. Maybe cilantro (which you're also going to throw on top, aren't you?) Sprinkle tortillas w/ cheese--quesadilla cheese if you can find it--and top with all the goodies before frying these puppies up, using little or no oil.

Serve with spicy rice, which I also don't use a recipe for, and both green & red salsa. Mmm.




Sevillian Marinated Carrots

From The New Spanish Table, a gorgeous cookbook by Anya von Bremzen.

These are fabulous. I'll post the recipe someday.







*Sorry, no links and no recipes. These are dishes I make up as I go along, and I never make them the same way twice.

No comments: