Tuesday, September 22, 2009

101 Uses for a Ripe Garden Tomato: #27--Salsa of Another Color

I've mentioned before that I usually make salsa with tomatillos. (My plants produce bucketsful. What else am I gonna do with them?) When I make red salsa instead of salsa verde, I often use canned--that's right, I said canned--fire-roasted tomatoes. But not this time.

I knew I wanted to make breakfast burritos this week, and I knew I wanted red salsa with them. (That's why I asked My Dearest O to grill tomatoes when the grill was heated up on Sunday. Clever, aren't I?) The ingredients I use for red salsa are pretty much the same as for salsa verde: Tomatoes, hot pepper (I used an Anaheim that O had grilled alongside the tomatoes), onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and cumin, all to taste. Add a pinch or two of salt, if you like.

The method is also pretty much the same as for salsa verde: Depending on how chunky you like your salsa, chop/mince by hand or in a blender/food processor. Or use a combination of the two, which is what I do.




Salsa with homemade chips.








Breakfast burritos are about the easiest meal ever: Fry bulk breakfast sausage. Add eggs beaten with a bit of milk or 1/2 & 1/2. Scramble it up together. (Add chopped veggies if you want.) Serve on warm tortillas with shredded cheese and salsa on the side. If you have time (or plan ahead, something I'm not so great at), make fried diced potatoes to serve with them too.

No comments: