Monday, October 05, 2009

Vegetable of The Day: Tomatillo.

Tonight we had Tomatillo Chicken Stew. A few weeks ago, I ran across a photo of it on someone's blog. It looked delicious, so I knew I had to try it. I can't remember whose blog it was, but I did keep the link for the recipe. I even followed the recipe very closely, just increasing the garlic a bit. The only thing I'd change is adding more pepper--I used 2 jalapenos, but next time I'll increase it to 3 or 4.

By the way, it wasdelicious.

If you've never had tomatillos, I recommend you give them a try. They're a little tart; they're a little sweet. Although wild and somewhat hard to control, they make a fabulous addition to the garden. (But watch out for the volunteers!) They look cool, too.

On the plate:
* They're high in vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium, and fiber.
* They're low in calories.

In the kitchen:
* They're a natural with spicy dishes. Pair them with cumin, lime juice, garlic, onion, and pepper.
* Unhusked, they store several weeks in a bag in the frig. Husked, they store even longer.

In the garden:
* They grow like weeds. Literally. Grow some this year and they'll be sprouting all over the yard for years to come.
* They're prolific.
* They're low maintenance.

That's all from me for now. I think I might be coming down with something and need to get myself to bed.

No comments: