Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Magical Fruit AND 101 Uses for a Ripe Garden Tomato: #30--Bean, Pasta, and Tomato Salad

Vegetable of the Day: Beans

One of the new vegetables I grew in the garden this year is dried beans for storage. I haven't blogged about them, maybe because I'm still drying some and am not sure what the final yield will be. Anyway, they're beautiful.

Don't you agree?



Here's a day's harvest of Yin Yang beans. Yin Yang beans have other names, but I can't think of any of them now.









I think you should be able to tell why they're called Yin Yang beans.








Like I said, beautiful.



These cannellini beans are ready to become my lunch. Nom nom.









The bean yield thus far: 3 cups cannellini and 1-1/2 cups Yin Yang.














Because I have some moderate flu-like symptoms, minus fever, I decided to stay home today.

For lunch, I made myself a salad with my homegrown cannellini beans*, ditalini pasta, choppped tomato*, slivered red onion*, garlic*, olive oil, fresh oregano*, and lemon juice. Oh, I also threw in a few chunks of cooked chicken that was leftover in the freezer from some other salad thing. I thawed it first. Duh. Anyway, the concoction was yummy, and there's enough left over to take for lunch tomorrow.




I forgot to tell you all the good things about beans! No details today. Know that they're all kinds of good for you, you can use them in all kinds of dishes, and they're cheap! Take my word for it.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, it looks wonderful.

I'm glad you stayed home to heal (and not spread the crud) and I hope you feel better soon.