Friday, September 11, 2009

101 Uses for a Ripe Garden Tomato: #18 (& 19)--Make Dinner (With Salad) for a Real Man


That's right, I made a quiche, and my Dearest O, the manliest of men, loved it.

I cheated by using a purchased whole wheat pie shell, which I baked blind at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes. I covered the bottom of the shell with some shredded Gruyere cheese, added the quiche filling, and baked it at 325 for about 30 minutes.

Filling (all amounts approximate):

* 1 Walla Walla onion, chopped, sauteed in butter
* 1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped, sauteed (added to onion after it had been sauteed about 10 min)
* Chopped tomato (1 cup?), drained, juice saved (for juice, paste, etc.)
* Chopped ham (1/4 cup. I had another 1/2-3/4 cup to add but forgot it. Don't ask.)
* Eggs and 1/2 & 1/2 (1 egg per 1/4 cup 1/2 & 1/2)--I started w/ 4 eggs but had egg/half & half mixture leftover.
* Shredded Gruyere
* Snipped fresh thyme
* Salt & Pepper to taste


Bonus use for garden tomato: Top salad greens with quartered cherry tomatoes and drizzle on your favorite vinaigrette.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum. A great blog. I can't wait to see what you cook up next.

Unknown said...

Delicious!