Sunday, September 03, 2006

What I Did on My Holiday Weekend
Day Two: Sunday
and a Movie Review

After I returned home from a quick morning jaunt to the Monona farmers' market and the grocery store, the guys and I piled into the O-mobile and headed downtown to the 24th annual Taste of Madison, where we ate our way around The Square, sampling egg rolls, crab meat Rangoon, shrimp purses, Asiago cheese sticks, Alambre De Cameron, and pecan pancakes. Yum, yum, yum. (Tim stuck to more traditional teenager mall-food-court fare: pepperoni pizza and a soft pretzel.)

Our sufficiency surensified, we worked our way up State Street to Exclusive record shop, where I broke down and bought Dylan's newest CD, Modern Times (to which I'm listening right now and with which I'm quite pleased), before reaching our initial destination, Orpheum Theater. I was a bit disappointed: I had expected a grand old theater; however, after purchasing our tickets we were directed to go outside and around the side of the building to the alley where we were to enter a smaller theater, one which had not seen a steam cleaner in several decades. Tim eloquently described it as "ghetto."

The movie itself, The War Tapes, was a different matter, not disappointing at all. You may wonder if this movie is for you. Are you a political conservative? Liberal? Somewhere in between? Do you support the war in Iraq? Oppose it? Don't know? Don't care? Are you a thoughtful person? This movie is for you if you can answer "yes" to any of the above questions, and I encourage you to see it. Please let me know what you think.

Cheers for now,
-b

No comments: