Monday, February 22, 2010

You Say Christmas; I Say Underpants

Here's something that bugs

When speaking about Umar Abdulmutallab, the radio & print media* often say something such as "commonly referred to as The (alleged) Christmas Day bomber." Not one real person I know refers to Abdulmutallab as "the Christmas Day Bomber." Everyone refers to him as "The Underpants (or Underwear) Bomber," just as they refer to Richard Reid as "The Shoe Bomber" rather than "The National Date Nut Bread Day Bomber."

If I didn't know better, I'd think the media trying to make this part of The War on Christmas.

*I assume TV news is the same. Don't know; don't have TV.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Underwear bomber, indeed.

Thank goodness for the brave people on that plane who put the fire out and subdued him. And thank goodness he was so inept that the bomb didn't work right.