Thursday, May 21, 2009

Under Attack

Well now, the second day of my mini gardening vacation didn't start out so well

I woke up shortly after 5:00, but because I had planned to sleep in until 7:00, I dozed off and on until My Dearest O came rushing into the room at 6:15 to close all the windows.

Now, why in the world would he be closing all the windows on a beautiful, cool morning?

Could it be because LOW-FLYING AIRPLANES WERE SPRAYING OUR NEIGHBORHOOD WITH SOME UNKNOWN SUBSTANCE?

Yes, it could be, and it was.

Perhaps you can imagine how excited this made me and how quickly I leapt out of bed.

Thank goodness for the Interwebs! We discovered that the State/DNR/Feds/Local Governments believe that the sinister Gypsy Moth can be eradicated by spraying select areas, including our little bit of the world (Dane 32) with Foray 48B, a pesticide including a very small percentage of the bacteria Bacillus thuringiensis kurstakii, commonly used in organic farming, and a much larger percentage of mysterious "inert" ingredients.

ALL government websites state that Foray 48B is perfectly harmless for humans and pets. Whew! I feel much better now. Think I'll go pick some greens from the garden.

No comments: