Thursday, March 26, 2009

If You Can Read This, You're Following Too Close(ly)


As I turned onto University Blvd, I spotted a bumper sticker that I pondered all the way home.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you're reading this in English, thank a soldier.


Huh? The first part I get. As for the second part, I guess I get the meaning behind it, but literally it makes no sense. It's written in English, so if I'm reading it, of course I'm doing so in English. Duh. Even if I can't read it, I'm still doing so--or not doing so--in English. Or maybe not. Maybe I'm not doing so in another language. Hhmm. And what if I'm not able to read in English? Should I still thank a soldier? (What about Marines? Sailors? Airmen? Civil Air Patrol?) And...

Criminy. See what can happen to you when you live with an English major? (And with Tim, the self-proclaimed Smartest Person in the World.)

Cheers & Happy Thursday,
-b

P.S. True Story: I rode the elevator this morning all the way up to eighth floor with a complete stranger who did not speak one word to me until I started to exit the elevator. Then she informed me that we're to expect 4-6" of snow on Saturday. Gee, thanks lady. Good morning to you too.

No comments: