Sunday, November 09, 2008

MMM MMM Good Without the Can

Wild Rice & Chicken Soup

My recipe: Sauté chopped onion (2), celery (1 stalk), carrots (2) in butter. Add chopped, raw chicken (from one breast) & herbs of choice. (I used fresh sage & dried thyme.) Sauté just a few minutes until chicken starts to become opaque. Add 5-6 cups chicken or vegetable broth (homemade preferred) & 3/4 - 1 cup wild rice blend; bring to boil. Reduce heat & simmer about 30 minutes. Add 3/4 - 1 cup cream, 1/2 & 1/2, or milk. Season with salt & pepper if you want. Continue to simmer & stir until rice is cooked to your liking.

Pasta e Fagioli (Pasta Fazhoool)

My recipe*: Sauté chopped onion, chopped carrots, & a lot of minced garlic in olive oil. Add 1/4 lb. chopped pancetta; sauté. Add crushed fire-roasted tomatoes (28 oz.) and cook until tomatoes start to break up. Add vegetable broth and herbs of choice. (I used fresh rosemary & oregano.) Bring to a boil; reduce heat & simmer for awhile. Add cooked cannellini beans. Simmer some more. Add ditalini or other smallish pasta. Simmer until pasta is al dente. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese. *I made this a week ago. I can't remember the amounts very well, and I might have left out a few ingredients.


Serve either soup with crusty bread & a green salad.

OMG, these were both so good! Try one today.

Cheers,
-b

No comments: