Sunday, October 12, 2008

Garden Update: Bringing In, Cleaning Up, and Starting Over


Last weekend, I dug up the last of the potatoes, the Butte Russets. There weren't too many, maybe 6 or 7 good baking sized ones, as I had been digging them up all summer, and quite a few still in the ground had been feasted upon by something other than our human family.

I also brought in the second crop of spaghetti squash, which had been "curing in the field" for a few weeks. I'm not sure how many there were, at least a dozen, of which I gave a few away to co-workers. I reckon all told I harvested around 3 dozen spaghetti squash, of which I've given away about 10 to co-workers and neighbors. I've got 22 more squash stored in the basement yet. I don't expect them to last more than a few months down there, so we'll either have to eat a lot of squash or I'll be trying to give some more away.

In addition to the squash, we've got a lot of potatoes, mostly All-Blue but some Russets, Yukon Gold, and mystery potatoes. Depending on how well they keep at basement temperature, we might not have to buy any potatoes this winter. We'll have to wait and see. (Of course, how long the potatoes--or any food--last depends on how often Number Two Son decides to eat dinner with us!)

Of course, we've also got my garlic hanging in the basement. I harvested somewhere between 70 and 80 bulbs. I'm not sure how much is left, probably not even half of that. At the rate we use garlic around here, I don't expect it to last us very long, perhaps until January, if we're lucky.

Speaking of garlic, I prepared the garlic bed yesterday and am going to plant today. I've got 140 bulbs to plant for '09. Maybe that'll be enough.

More later...

Cheers
-b

No comments: