Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Start With a Cup of Butter

You can't go wrong, not if you're in Wisconsin.

I had some blueberries, picked up from the Farmers' Market this past weekend, that were just begging to be made into some kind of sugary, gooey pastry. When I stumbled across Smitten Kitchen's blueberry crumb bars, I immediately flew to heat the oven.

Wonder of wonders, I mostly stuck to the recipe, except I didn't have any lemon zest, so I just omitted it. Also, I only had 3 cups of blueberries, whereas the recipe calls for 4 cups. Now, the smart thing to do would be to cut the recipe in half and make a 8 x 8 pan. (You already know I didn't do the smart thing, don't you?) After all, only My Dearest O and I will be eating it, as Number Two Son won't willingly touch any fruit or vegetable matter, so a 9 x 13 pan is overkill. (Betcha anything that My Dearest O has some in the morning, proclaiming it a "breakfast food" vs. dessert.)

What I did instead of the smart thing I should've done is throw in a cup of raspberries that I had in the freezer. When I poured the berries over the crust, they looked kinda sparse, so I threw in the rest of the raspberries from the freezer bag. I've no idea how many berries I used.

It's in the oven now. And boy, does it smell good.

Cheers,
B

P.S. First head of broccoli harvested today. Was it ever yummy!

No comments: