Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I Heart Garlic Breath

We've been hearing for some time that garlic is good for you. An article in the New York Times this weekend states that recent studies suggest consuming the equivalent of 2 cloves a day for health benefits.

Regardless of its health benefits, I love garlic. If a recipe of mine doesn't start with "mince x cloves of garlic," it's probably for a dessert. I'm pretty skilled at mincing garlic, but it's a real pain. I also have tried a collection of garlic presses over the years. None of them work very well, and they waste too much garlic.

A few months ago I was in The Kitchen Gallery, the awesome new kitchen store on Williamson Street, when a new kitchen gadget, The Garlic Twist, caught my eye. Over the years, I have purchased many kitchen toys tools, most of them useless, so I'm pretty skeptical of gadgets like these. (And, I'm cheap frugal.) I picked up and then put down The Garlic Twist several times before deciding to buy it because, what the heck, it's Made in the U.S.A., and my $14.00 might help keep the economy strong.


























I'm happy to report that this was NOT another waste of money. The Garlic Twist couldn't be quicker or easier to use. Mine has become the kitchen tool I use most often.

No comments: