Monday, January 01, 2007

What's Cookin' in the New Year?

Today at the O-Ranch, we're not much thinking about food, so little in fact that I didn't eat breakfast (a banana) until after noon. (And, no, I'm not hungover--at least not from alcohol--as the only spirits I had last night were 2 bottles of beer, consumed between 5:00 and 10:00, PM of course.)

I had intended to roast a beef prime rib of some other good cut of beef, and the I remembered that we had a buffalo roast in the freezer and changed my plans. We've had roast buffalo several times before. Usually I just slap it in a pan and roast it on low heat (275°) for a few hours, and it's delicious, but as it turns out the cut that we have, the hump, isn't as tender as the cuts we've had before and requires marinating for 12-24 hours or cooking in the crock pot. Not being one to plan ahead, I didn't marinate it, so opted for the crockpot based on a recipe by buffalo rancher Marlene Groves.

  • 2.75 pound buffalo roast, dregged in salted & peppered flour and browned in olive oil
  • 1 onion, halved
  • 5 whole garlic cloves, peeled
  • 3 carrots, peeled
  • several springs fresh rosemary and marjoram with 3 bay leaves
  • 2 bottles dark beer (I used Munich Dark from Capital Brewery, one of our local breweries.)

It's been cooking on high for about 3 hours now, and Oh My Gosh does it smells delicious! I think I'll turn it down to low for a few hours more. Results to follow.


Also in the works today is a quilt that I started sometime late last winter:







I've got about 2/3 of the strips sewn together.



















The other 7 strips are waiting in the wings.










If I have the time I might get this quilt finished early this year. (Don't hold your breath!)

Better get back to the Bernina if I want to finish, so it's cheers for now,
Barb

No comments: