Saturday, November 25, 2006

Have You Read...

any of the NYT's 100 Notable Books of the Year?

I haven't read even one of them!

Of the books on the list, I'm currently reading The United States of Arugula: How We Became a Gourmet Nation by David Kamp and Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert is on my TBR next pile. Several other "notable" books are on my reading wish list. I had borrowed Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany by Bill Buford but returned it to the library After reading several positive reviews of Beasts of No Nation by Uzodinmunread. a Iweala, I started it but didn't get very far into it as I couldn't tolerate the author's use of first-person broken English, which I'm sure is just too creative and artsy for me to appreciate. (If you try it let me know what you think--I'm probably just an uncultured oaf.)

Speaking of books, Sean is raiding our stash of children's books to take to the preschool where he teaches Jumpstart students. We vetoed several of his selections, such as Chicken Soup With Rice: A Book of Months and The Five Chinese Brothers, because of a deep sentimental attachment, but he still scored a lot of good books for the kids. (And freed up some more space on our bookshelves. Yeah!)

Tomorrow: More on children's books. Perhaps. We'll see.


-b

No comments: